Mizuno has been in the business of sports equipment for over 100 years, and they’ve developed a pretty good reputation for making quality running shoes. The Mizuno Wave Horizon 3 is one of their best shoes for people who enjoy running but have flat feet.
If you’re flat-footed, you should know that choosing the wrong running shoes could potentially lead to severe pain and injury. The Wave Horizon 3 is the third version of the Mizuno Wave Horizon line. It’s specially designed for support and comfort for people with flat feet. It offers an incredible amount of cushion and support which makes this shoe a fan favorite among runners.
Fast Facts About this Offering
- X10 outsole provides excellent traction on any surface.
- Wave plate technology offers support and comfort for flat feet
- Incredibly lightweight and robust U4ic midsole material offers sturdy and responsive cushioning for each step
- Ortholite sock liner absorbs excess odor and moisture while providing an extra layer of cushioning
- Smooth ride engineering encourages proper gait
Available for Men at
Available for Women at
Performance and Use
Customers responded so well to the outsole of the original Wave Horizon that Mizuno has kept the same great X10 technology in the outsole of the Wave Horizon 3. The X10 outsole is composed of highly durable carbon rubber, a material commonly used to make tires.
The tread provides sturdy, reliable traction when running on either wet or dry surfaces. The Wave plate technology of the midsole is what makes this series unique. This wave-shaped plastic shank begins under the heel and extends to the middle of the foot. This provides strong stability and prevents unnecessary side to side movement that can occur because of flat feet. The wave plate also helps to prevent your ankle from rolling by stabilizing the length of the shoe and ensuring the proper landing of each step.
The midsole is made of Mizuno’s patented U4ic material, a cushion which is responsive and sturdy while also providing support. Another critical part of this shoe is its Smoothride technology, which improves gait by encouraging a natural rolling motion in each step.
Cushioning and Comfort
Runners like the Wave Horizon 3 for its comfort, especially for people with flat feet and overpronation. It’s certainly true that this shoe has quite a lot of extra cushioning. The upper part of this shoe is made of very breathable AirMax mesh that’s lightweight and soft. It’s designed to keep your feet cool and dry even on those long runs and to prevent overheating.
The fit is secure and comfortable without feeling too tight thanks to Mizuno’s Dynamotion Fit technology, which is a stretchy material on the upper. For most runners, this keeps the foot snugly on foot without feeling suffocating, though some users have complained that the shoe might be a tad too snug in the middle. The patented U4ic material of the midsole offers stable cushioning and optimum bounce back.
The inside of the shoe is lined with a state of the art Ortholite sock liner, which adds another layer of cushioning and absorbs odor and moisture to encourage maximum foot dryness further. While the middle of the foot is on the narrow side to keep your feet feeling snug, the wider toe box allows for ample room to spread your toes and helps to prevent your feet from feeling cramped.
Value and Cost
The Mizuno Wave Horizon 3 is in the higher-end price range of the stability running shoe market. It’s worth noting, however, that this third version in the series is priced a little more affordably than its first two iterations. This has let Mizuno fans to become especially enamored with the Wave Horizon 3.
Despite its super lightweight feel, this shoe is surprisingly very durable. The carbon rubber X10 outsole is tough, and the durable U4ic midsole material ensures that this shoe will keep you going even after many miles of use. They tend to break down a lot slower than similarly styled shoes. This means that the Mizuno Wave Horizon 3 is well worth the price and is sure to become one of your new favorite running shoes.
Mizuno Wave Horizon 3: The Pros
- Chock full of cutting-edge technology. Mizuno has packed the Wave Horizon 3 with a lot of different tech to ensure a stable and supportive shoe that remains comfortable and responsive for a very long time. These technologies include the Wave plate that gives the Wave series its name, Smoothride for gait correction, Dynamotion for a comfortably snug fit, and the Ortholite sock liner that provides extra cushion and odor control.
- Very durable. The carbon rubber outsole of the Wave Horizon 3 is highly durable and will keep this shoe going for a very long time. The U4ic midsole cushion is also sturdy. It offers comfortable cushioning but will retain its shape even after many miles of wear. This combination results in a running shoe that Mizuno has specially designed to last.
- Unique style choices. This shoe comes in a lot of different styles and colors in both men and women’s sizes. The Smoothride technology that encourages proper gait and a rolling step is gender-specific, so the shoe is designed to meet the specific dimensions of men’s and women’s feet. Each of the gender-specific styles comes in an extensive variety of colors. No matter what your preferred style is, there’s a color combo for everyone.
- A light stability shoe. Most stability shoes offer extra support in exchange for a little more weight. In comparison with other popular stability shoes on the market, Wave Horizon 3 is surprisingly lightweight. This is due to the U4ic midsole, which is an equally supportive but much lighter material than other midsole foams.
Mizuno Wave Horizon 3: The Cons
- Shoe runs small. Many purchasers have stated that Wave Horizon 3 can run a bit small. It may be useful to try a half size or lower than your standard sizing. Also, while the toe box of the shoe has plenty of room for your toes to move around comfortably, there is a chance that the middle of the shoe may be too narrow for those of us who like more room.
- Not the most gorgeous shoe on the market. While the third iteration of the Wave Horizon series may have plenty of color options for both men and women, some reviewers have stated that they still aren’t huge fans of the overall design choice. The style of the upper mesh can seem to some consumers to be a little outdated in today’s modern running shoe market, especially for the price range.
Conclusion and Final Thoughts
Mizuno has been making high-quality sports equipment since they were founded in Japan over 100 years ago. They’re the long-running reputation of creating solid and sturdy running shoes continues with the Mizuno Wave Horizon 3. This shoe is specifically designed for runners who suffer from flat feet and overpronation.
When you have flat feet and run in the wrong shoes, ones that offer little support or gait correction for flat-footedness, you could potentially cause your body a lot of severe pain and injury in the future. This second iteration of the Mizuno Wave Horizon line is a highly durable running shoe that has been specially designed to offer support and comfort for people who suffer from flat feet.
This is achieved by the cutting-edge patented Mizuno technology that keeps this shoe comfortable, durable, and stabilizing. If you’re in the market for a lightweight support shoe, the Mizuno Wave Horizon 3 might just become your new favorite running shoe.
The Mizuno Wave Horizon 3 is feature in our comprehensive guide to the best running shoes for flat feet.
Check Latest Men's Prices:
Check Latest Women's Prices: