When you're hiking in snake country, your boots matter. A lot.
Being in the woods, where snakes can easily hide, all day is demanding and definitely not easy. The thick underbrush, rocks, mud, and dangerous conditions take a toll on your whole body, but especially your feet and legs. Spending time hiking and working in an environment where an unseen snake could bit at any moment is draining.
Because of this, having the right snake boots is essential. You need a boot that will prevent snake bites, protect your feet and calves in a snake invested environment, and still keep your feet comfortable at the same time. Choosing the right snake proof boot that fits your requirements can be difficult.
Fast Facts About This Offering
Precisely because of its ability to meet these demands, the LaCrosse Adder 18" Snake Boot is one of the best snake proof boots you can find on the market today.
Performance and Use
LaCrosse designed the Adder 18" Snake Boot as a hunting boot that can withstand a full day in rough country, no matter what kind of conditions you face. The unique back gusset design allows for the ease of a pull on and off design without sacrificing the ability to get the tight fit of a laced boot. LaCrosse is also known for the solid traction and grip of their boots allowing you to tackle any terrain that you come across without fear of your boots sliding out from under you. The sole has been tested by over a century of quality craftsmanship.
Although the LaCrosse doesn't have all of the extra bells and whistles of some of the more tactical-style snake boot options available, the Adder 18" is still a solid choice for those looking for a straightforward snake proof hunting boot. They are waterproof, easy to pull on and off, and are better for wide feet than most other options.
The full-grain leather and 1000 Denier nylon upper are thick and durable, providing 360 degree snake bite protection. If you don't know, 1000 Denier nylon refers to the weight of the nylon fabric (the other typical weight is 500 Denier). This heavyweight, high quality fabric not only protects against snakes, but adds to the rugged durability of the boot so that it doesn't fray or come unstitched as easily as boots made with lower quality materials. Finally, these also making cleaning the boots a breeze. Simply wiping them down with a wet towel is usually sufficient.
Finally, the adjustable back gusset helps tremendously with fit issues. The usual complain on slide on and off boots is that unless you have huge calves, the boots don't have anywhere near the necessary fit in rugged terrain that tactical full lace boots have. The back gusset goes a long way (but not all the way!) toward addressing this issue. Still, if you're going to be really climbing around rocks on your hunts or hikes, then we would recommend a full lace boot instead of the Adder 18".
Cushioning and Comfort
Because these boots are composed mostly of rubber, leather, and heavy-grade nylon which are not the softest of materials, there is a period of breaking them in. This is true for almost all high quality snake proof boots you're going to find. It's really true of almost all high quality hunting and hiking boots you're going to find. Once you've worn them out on the trail several times, though, they'll begin to mold to the shape of your foot. After that, they should start to become some of the most comfortable hunting boots you've ever had.
As you hike, your body's weight compresses the rubber sole of the boot, which has an insole lining for extra comfort. The boots typically come with a replaceable felt insole, but you can also get LaCrosse flex shield insoles for extra comfort and durability. Over time the soles of the boots conform to your foot for maximum comfort.
Value and Cost
LaCrosse is a highly trusted brand when it comes to making quality hunting and hiking boots, so they can be a bit more expensive than some lesser known brands. Sure, there are similar looking boots out there for a lower price tag, but they don't necessarily offer the same quality that you get with LaCrosse. Often, lower-quality boots will have plastic components, or lower-grade nylon. While every company selling snake proof boots should be doing rigorous testing to make sure they are actually keeping you safe from snake bites, you probably shouldn't risk it to save $10!
LaCrosse Adder 18" Men's Snake Boots: The Pros
- High quality materials. Not only will full-grain leather and heavy grade nylon protect your legs from snake bites, but they will increase the longevity of the boots, as well as make them easier and faster to clean.
- Replaceable insoles. If you don't like the felt insoles that the boot comes equipped with you can replace them with the LaCrosse flex shield insoles for a better fit and more comfort.
- Easy pull on and off. The large handles making get in and out of these boots super easy. This definitely cannot be said for all snake boots on the market.
- Extremely comfortable. The materials and LaCrosse's well known quality standards make these some of the most comfortable snake proof hunting boots you are going to find. The adjustable back gusset allows a tighter fit than similar styled options.
LaCrosse Adder 18" Men's Snake Boots: The Cons
- A little pricier than other options. Because of the LaCrosse name and standards you pay a bit more for these boots than you might pay for some cheaper brands. We don't general believe in skimping on safety though, and we trust the LaCrosse brand to actually keep us safe from snake bites.
- The Break-in. Because the materials in the boot start out stiff and rugged, there is definitely a breaking-in period with these boots. Your first several trips out, be prepared for some discomfort as the boot adjusts to your foot. This can make those first few hunts uncomfortable, so better plan on slightly shorter outings while the boots get broken-in.
Conclusion and Final Thoughts
Good snake boots must be both functional and practical. Great snake boots must also be efficient, technical, and comfortable. LaCrosse's Adder 18" Men's Snake Boot is definitely one of ShoeGuide's top picks for hunters and hikers in snake country.
In the end, your boots really matter, and this choice from one of the oldest, most-reputable brands can keep up with demanding, treacherous environment of the most avid hunter or outdoor enthusiast. With LaCrosse quality and ease of use, the Adder 18" is one of the top choices for hunters everywhere.
Customer Reviews and Prices Available on Moosejaw.
For more options you can also head back to our Comprehensive Guide to Snake Boots!