As a hunter or outdoorsman, you can be on your in feet in hunting boots or snake boots for long hours. If you are working or hiking all day, it is crucial that your boots perform well. They should be comfortable, supporting your feet with every step you take through rocky or overgrown terrain, and safe, protecting you from any snakes that might lurking underfoot.
Additionally, they should be durable and have adequate traction to prevent damage to the boot and to prevent slips and falls that could be serious if you are in an isolated outdoor environment. You've probably also had to deal with thorns, brush, and falling rocks as well. In short, there are many things that can go wrong in an unforgiving natural environment, and your boots should be able to support you during these treks. While the materials on your boots should provide maximum safety against snake bites, they should also be durable and long-lasting so you are getting the most bang for your buck.
Danner Pronghorn Snake Boots are a good pair of work or hunting boots for those looking for high-quality and comfort.
Fast Facts About This Offering
- Upper is a combination of full-grain leather and 1000 Denier Nylon
- Gore-tex lining is water proof and breathable
- Fully laced for the best fit while keeping it easy to get the boot on and off
- 17" full 360 Degree snake guard to ensure full protection from snake bites
- Athletic fit to keep up with you on the trail
- Wide toe box makes these boots more comfortable for those with wide feet
Performance and Use
Danner Pronghorn Snake Boots are useful snake boots that hunters and hikers will appreciate. The side-zip and quick lacing system makes getting into and out of these boots easy and fast, and provides a really tight athletic fit, ideal for scrambling on rocks or moving quickly through thick underbrush or high grasses. These snake boots feature 1000 Denier Nylon (as opposed to the 500 Denier you find on some models) and full-grain leather.
The specially-designed Pronghorn Outsole is Danner's fourth generation hiking boot outsole and is designed to be rugged and provide excellent traction in almost any terrain. It provides better grip than some other choices, and is part of the slick design of the Danner Pronghorn boots. It also boasts Danner's "Terra Force" platofrm for lightweight stability. Finally, Danner has designed the Pronghorn Snake Boot to have a wide toe box and a fit closer to an athletic shoe to maximize your agility while keeping you safe from snake bites.
Although Danner did give the Pronghorn a Gore-Tex line that is supposed to provide 100% waterproofing and breathability, there are definitely a lot of complaints that the waterproofing is less than perfect. There also seem to be a lot of problems with the side zipper system on the Pronghorn, with frequent defects and failures of the zipper.
Cushioning and Comfort
With rugged outsoles, these shoes are a solid choice for long treks in almost any terrain. We'd avoid really cold climates in these since they are uninsulated, and the traction on ice left something to be desired. Although the outsoles are thick and durable, they are not very flexible. Even with the long break-in period we expect from snake boots, the soles on the Pronghorn's remained stiff and inflexible. This can lead to some major foot pain.
The upside to these boots is that the construction of the sole and upper is extremely durable and robust without feeling bulky. It is hard to move quickly if you feel like you are wearing cement blocks instead of snake boots.
The side-zipper and full, quick lacing system made getting these boots on and off a breeze, and also allowed us to adjust the fit to the tightness desired. Unfortunately, the side zipper system seems to need some work as a pretty big percentage of people have had the zipper breakdown on them.
Value and Cost
Danner boots are generally well-made, if pricey hunting and hiking boots. It's important to note that the support and snake proof features of the boot could save you a ton of money in the long run. However, we're not sure the value is quite there with Danner. The boots seem to have some quality-control issues, particularly with the side zipper and the waterproofing, and come at a steep price. They were the most expensive snake boots on our comprehensive list of the best snake boots.
Danner Pronghorn Snake Boots: The Pros
- Easy to Get On and Off. With some snake boots, we feel like half our day is spent getting the things on, and the other half is spent getting them off. Having a side-zipper really helps out. The fact that they then have a quick lace system allows you tighten them up more like a tactical-style boot. This was ideal for making sure our boots stayed with us in tough conditions.
- Breathe Well. They might have waterproofing issues, but they also definitely let heat and water out. We didn't soak through our socks like we would with a lot of hiking or hunting boots. Since they are uninsulated, they are also a good choice for hot weather. That said, they are not great in cold conditions.
- Rugged Construction and Outsole. Never felt like the outsole's traction or durability would let us down. These are made from solid materials and have a rugged construction that can take a beating in the outdoors.
Danner Pronghorn Snake Boots: The Cons
- Questionable Waterproofing. We're used to boots that claim to be 100% waterproof still letting in some water. That just seems to be the way things go. However, the Gore-Tex lining on the Pronghorn seems to provide little protection. We're not sure if that is an manufacturing issue with the boots, or something about the Gore-Tex lining, but the problem is pretty widespread.
- Quality Control Issues. There are just too many complaints about breakdowns in the side-zipper system to ignore. While having a side-zipper and laces to making getting the boots on and off easy while still providing a tight, adjustable fit is great, it isn't useful if the zipper breaks all the time.
- Cost. The Danner Pronghorn is one of the most expensive snake boot options we looked at.
Conclusion and Final Thoughts
Danner Pronghorn's are a pricey option, and have some quality issues. Until those get resolved, they really are not our top choice. The waterproofing and side-zipper breakdowns are deal breakers for us.
You can check out more options in our comprehensive guide to the best snake boots.
Customer Reviews and Price Available on Moosejaw.