Every chef knows the importance of their shoes, and every chef knows when they’ve found the perfect work shoe. They all know that to measure up, for a shoe to be worthy to last in a proper kitchen, it should be slip-resistant, durable, and comfortable. It should have all three of these traits and package them in a convenient style.
Every chef should also know that choosing the wrong shoes can result in a lot of pain and discomfort. Birkenstock is one of the most popular and trusted brands in the work shoe market today. They are well known for offering high-quality, durable shoes that last a long time. Because of the trusted brand and high-quality materials, many chefs choose the Birkenstock Professional Slip Resistant Work Shoe as their preferred chef shoe.
Fast Facts About this Offering
- Imported from Germany
- Synthetic polyurethane sole
- Microfiber insole
- Comes in Black or Blue
- Removable, anatomically shaped polyurethane sole, lined with fabric for comfort
- Heel measures approximately 1.5"
- Lab tested slip resistent outsole
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleanup at the end of the night.
The Birkenstock Profi-Birki is Available for Men and Women at
Performance and Use
As the name attests, the star factor of these shoes is their slip-resistant nature. The treaded polyurethane outsole has a raised heel section and an extended front end that it encloses the entire foot and promotes a natural rolling motion with every step. This will very effectively keep you from having a potentially fatal injury from slipping on water or grease covered floor, ensuring a grip you can trust in any working environment.
This shoe is almost wholly made up of polyurethane, a synthetic, lightweight material that also repels water and resists dirt and stains, making it extremely easy to care for and extremely useful in a kitchen environment. The shoes are washable at up to 80° Celsius/ 176° Fahrenheit. So, for easy cleanup at the end of the night, you can remove the fabric insole and throw the whole pair of shoes in the dishwasher. The insoles themselves can be washed at temperatures up to 60° Celsius/ 140° Fahrenheit.
If you’re the kind of chef that’s always running around a busy kitchen, then you’ll love the lightweight nature of the Professional Slip Resistant Work Shoe from Birkenstock. The light polyurethane material will have you zooming around the kitchen faster and more efficiently than ever before. And they may be light, but these shoes are sturdy. Birkenstock is known for making shoes that last, and their work shoes are no exception.
These shoes also have the added advantage of being slip-on. No more stopping in the middle of a busy shift to bend over and tie your shoes. No more falling on loose shoelaces. Just slip on your Birkis and get back to doing what you do best.
Cushioning and Comfort
Birkenstock’s Professional Slip Resistant Work Shoe is made of very lightweight polyurethane which makes it very comfortable to wear. You’ll have a lightweight feeling that you can’t get with a heavy sneaker. Polyurethane is also very breathable, keeping your feet cool in the hottest of kitchens. Plus, the removable insole is made up of soft microfibers that prevent the buildup of moisture to keep your feet cool and dry all day.
The Shock-absorbing polyurethane midsole is perfect for cushioning your every step and making sure to reduce strain on your feet, legs, and back. Every chef knows the horror of working hard in a kitchen all day to create beautiful dishes and coming home with an aching back and sore feet. When your shoes keep your feet comfy, you become a better chef.
The Birkenstock footbed is famous for naturally molding to your foot over time. The break-in period can be uncomfortable for many people, but after running around a busy kitchen in these shoes for a few days, they’re sure to become some of the most comfortable shoes you’ll own. The footbed is complete with a microfiber cloth insole which makes for a work shoe that can keep your foot comfortable through even the longest of nights in the kitchen.
Value and Cost
Birkenstock is world famous for making high-quality, durable materials that last a long time. For this reason, the Birki Profi Slip Resistant Work Shoe is not that expensive for its quality. It’s in the mid-price range for kitchen shoes of this type. And while you can find similar shoes from other brands that run at a much lower price, it’s hard to deny the quality and value of the Birkenstock brand.
These shoes, if properly cared for, will last you a very long time. The soles will wear down with time but can be replaced for a fair price. The uppers are a high-quality, highly durable and will last for years to come.
Birkenstock Professional Slip Resistant Work Shoe: The Pros
- Made from polyurethane. Polyurethane is a very durable and lightweight synthetic material that makes this shoe feel light, airy, and comfortable. It repels water and resists dirt and stains, so it’s effortless to clean. All they generally need is a good wipe down or a round in the dishwasher.
- Cool, comfortable insole. The Polyurethane is very breathable, so the tops of your feet are kept dry. The microfiber cloth insole is made up of very fine synthetic fibers that are incredibly soft and shape-retentive. This keeps the bottoms of your feet cool, dry and cozy.
- Certified Non-slip. The polyurethane outsole is treaded and has a raised heel section, with an extended front end which covers the tips of the toes and promotes a natural rolling motion with every step. This technology has been lab-tested to prevent potentially fatal slips and falls on wet, greasy, or slick surfaces.
- Sleek, simple design. With the Birkenstock Professional Slip Resistant Work Shoe, you don’t have to worry about shoelaces getting in the way. The sleek, elegant design of this shoe is perfect for someone who wants to get down to work and look good doing it. Just slip them on and go.
Birkenstock Professional Slip Resistant Work Shoe: The Cons
- Sizing is a bit off. Most people agree that the sizes that you get with Birkenstock don’t usually line up with sizes you’ll wear in other shoes. For most people, a Birkenstock Slip Resistant Work Shoe will run a size larger your typical shoe size.
- The break-in period. The break-in period typically associated with the Birkenstock brand can be a challenge for some people, and these Professional Slip Resistant shoes are no different. But if you can stick through the first few painful days, these shoes will gradually mold to the natural shape of your foot, and could quickly become some of the most comfortable shoes you’ll ever own.
Conclusion and Final Thoughts
If you’re a busy chef looking for a shoe that will last for many years of constant use, the Birkenstock Professional Slip Resistant Work Shoe might be the shoe for you.
These shoes are tough. Built from high-quality synthetic polyurethane, they’ll keep your feet comfortable, dry, and protected for a very long time. The lab-tested, certified slip resistant outsole is specially designed by Birkenstock to keep you safe and upright no matter what terrain you’ll be on.
The lightweight nature of the materials means you’ll be speeding around the kitchen and getting more done. The shock absorbent polyurethane midsole will ensure that you’ll no longer have to worry about foot, knee, or back pain at the end of a busy shift.
The Birkenstock Professional Profi Birki was one of our top choices on our comprehensive guide to the best chef shoes.
Check Latest Prices: